Saturday, October 20, 2012

The end of an era

Lyra Kate in her first week of tennis lessons


There have been lots of changes around here lately.  This past June, Lyra Kate took her first sports lessons when she completed two weeks of tennis lessons.  This marked the end of an era here in the Land of Lentz.  What era am I referring to?  The era of quiet, slow weeks of being home inside our 4 walls.  I know, it doesn't sound like a big deal - but to me it was huge.  See, I've been holding back -  keeping all of us home, uncommitted to various activities for as long as I could.

Lyra Kate and her first day of Ballet


Childhood goes by so fast.  Before I know it, I'll be packing her up for college.  So, we've delayed getting involved in activities until this year.  She is only 4 and has many years left in childhood, but I still feel like we have shifted into a different time.  A time filled with soccer, ballet, recitals, and appointments.  A time of meeting new people, being in new situations, and trying new things.  I think these are all great and a necessary part of growing up, but I mourn the passage of the slow weeks at home where church and Kroger were are only outings in the week.

Lyra Kate on her first day of preschool lessons
So, we have added a few activities around here lately.  In August, we began Ballet and Tap lessons once a week.  She is really loving her class and can't wait to go each week.  We also began homeschool preschool lessons in September.  She is really enjoying those too.  She is very eager to learn.  We are also playing soccer this year.  This is challenging for Lyra Kate.  She is not aggressive.  She usually hangs back from the action during the games but she is improving.

Lyra Kate at her first soccer practice
So forgive me.  I know that this may seem like a silly thing to miss, but I really do miss when our life was activity free.  In a few more years, we will have multiple children in multiple activities and be impossibly "on the go!" For now, we will enjoy the newness of it all, as our little redhead takes her first steps into a big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment