Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A visit to Nanney's

Tucker was fascinated with the tractor
The first weekend of June, while my Mom & sister Kendall were visiting, we headed down to visit my grandmother (Nanney) on Sunday night.  We ate a huge supper around 4 pm and decided to make the 45 minute drive south to visit.

Gracie viewing the chickens
My grandmother and two uncles live on a little farm.  Well, by most peoples standards they live on a farm.  They grow a lot of their own veggies that they preserve, raise chickens for eggs, raise pigs for meat, raise goats and rabbits, and even raise an occasional steer for beef. 

Lyra Kate checking out the bunny
The little Lentzes loved the farm.  Grace wanted to dig in my uncle's garden dirt, which was beautifully dark and loose. Lyra Kate loved the little baby bunny - I mean who wouldn't, he's white and fluffy and can fit in your pocket!  And Tucker was all about the tractor.  Yep. He liked the big wheels of the tractor - boys.

Feeding time
I loved taking the kids down there to see all of it.  Both sides of my family had lots of gardens and kept animals as long as I can remember. My paternal grandparents, the Tuckers, had pigs and chickens too.  We always had fresh eggs, home canned tomatoes, and peas from the garden.

Lyra Kate and Uncle Joe walking past the tomato plants
I must admit, a part of my heart still longs to live that way.  To see my pantry filled with jar upon jar of veggies that I grew and preserved.  To go out each day and gather eggs, a chore of mine when I was small and visited my grandparents.  (Yes, I just realized I used the words chore and grandparents in the same sentence.  Boy has things changed).  I love the smell of the garden in the early morning, dirt and dew as the sun comes up. (We always worked the garden at first light or last light to avoid the heat).  Shelling peas all day long under the airconditioning and in front of some rented movies (usually Star Wars or Back to the Future).  Eating fresh fried green tomatoes dredged in our own grown cornmeal.  Yummy.  Ahhh...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. 

My sweet Nanney and her great-grand Allie
Unfortunately, I live in a suburb on a third of an acre where we can't even put a shed in our yard without it matching the exterior of our home.  I bet if we got some yard chickens the neighbors would never speak to us again! I am also married to a man who has so many wonderful qualities but working in the dirt ain't one of them!  So, for now, I will have to just visit our last farm in the family and show my littles what it was like to grow up like Mommy did (boy, do I sound old)!  At least I can come home with a few fresh eggs, a bit of home smoked bacon, and a bag full of fresh veggies for supper.  Oh, and the best part of the visit - hugs and kisses from my Nanney!

Tucker playing on the tractor stool

No comments:

Post a Comment