Friday, October 15, 2010

Yes, We Celebrate Halloween


I know that many Christians choose to NOT participate in Halloween because of the origins of the holiday.  I must say, Scott and I have given this much thought upon becoming parents.  We have come to the conclusion that we, here in the Land of Lentz, will be celebrating Halloween (with restrictions).  I am aware of all the reasons that some decide to skip this holiday and that many feel a deep conviction about it.  By all means, follow your own convictions.  We, however, do not have such convictions.  For the past three years, as the weather changes here in the South, I start re-examining this issue. I read up on the history, the arguments against, and anything in the Bible that is relevant to this topic.  I also pray about it.  So far, I've reached the same conclusion - since we do not practice anything evil (witchcraft, sorcery, divination) then Halloween for us is just a cultural holiday.

I know, there is a scripture about being "in the world not of the world," but I think my allowing my children to dress up and receive candy from a few neighbors is not akin to selling their souls.  The truth is there are many cultural holidays that we participate in - the fourth of July, Thanksgiving, New Years, the opening day of SEC football (that's only a holiday here in the South).  I don't see many Christians touting the evil of these and quoting scripture against participating in them.  We, the Lentzes, lump Halloween in there with the rest of these holidays.  It is not a holiday of our faith (Christmas or Easter), but it is a holiday of our culture.

We do have some restrictions.  I will not use any "scary" decorations or allow my children to dress in anything scary -  No witches, goblins, skeletons, chain-saw murders, etc.  We will carve pumpkins each year and I have a great lesson about being the light of the world to go along with it (when my little ones get a bit older).  We will also participate in our church's Harvest festival, held the week of Halloween, which is our largest community outreach program of the year.  We are planning on going to a pumpkin patch, if we get over our sickness in time.  I'm sure as the children get older our list of restrictions will grow, but for now this should be sufficient.

The fact is, Halloween is the one holiday for children to have fun.  Yes, Christmas is also fun because of the presents, but Christmas is also a very important holiday of our faith and has a lot of things that go along with that.  Halloween is just all about FUN.  Dressing up - FUN, Getting free candy - FUN, Making a mess carving pumpkins - FUN!  So, we will be having fun this Halloween.  We are planning on celebrating with two other families (family of friends) here in our home.  We're making chili and trick-or-treating in our costumes.  I'm sure we will take lots of pictures and laugh a lot and hopefully meet some of our neighbors.

So, to all of you, have a FUN Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment