Thursday, May 19, 2011

What's in a name? part one

When we were pregnant with Lyra Kate and we found out she was a girl, we were stumped when it came to a name.  We had actually been talking about names for years but when it came time to settle on a name - well, it wasn't so easy!  Scott and I made a deal - if it was a girl he could pick the name and if it was a boy then I would pick the name.  (I was sure I was having a boy but I was mistaken).  I kept my word and let him pick the name.

We decided we would like an "L" name and we wanted something unique.  We also wanted the name to have a good meaning and maybe part of the name to be a family name.  One day while browsing a name site I ran across the name Lyra.  I emailed it to Scott.  He did a bit of research and discovered that the meaning was perfect for us - "the instrument of God."  He then added the Kathryn, which is my sister's middle name, so that it could be shortened to Kate.  Kathryn means "pure."  So Lyra Kathryn means "the pure instrument of God."

Her name reflected the hope that we have for her - that she will one day be used by God to further His Kingdom.  We thought it was perfect.  It was an old-fashioned name that was as unique as she was.

When she was about three months old, I was sitting in church listening to a sermon.  As often happens, what I got out of the message that day had nothing to do with what our pastor was speaking on.  I realized that Lyra Kate was already "an instrument of God"! She was the fulfillment of a wonderful promise that God gave us.

We prayed many years that God would bless us with a family.  Each time we would feel like giving up hope, something would happen to give us peace and a renewed strength.  During our many years in the "desert," we knew that God would give us a family - in His time and in His way.  I still went through surgeries and treatments, and when medicine had done all it could do for me - God stepped in and gave us Lyra Kate.  Although I had lost two previous pregnancies, I knew when my little stick had two lines that this child would be our first living child.  I had a peace throughout my pregnancy because I just knew at the end we would have our long awaited child.

Lyra Kate always has a kiss and a hug for everyone.  She is very nurturing to her little brother and sister.  She is so sweet sometimes you would think she was dripping sugar!  She can be a bit challenging since she has a redheaded temper that flares up sometimes.  She has a sweet spirit and we are blessed to call her daughter.

Lyra Kate at her third birthday party

No comments:

Post a Comment