Monday, October 3, 2011

A Blog Break

Ok, so I had to take some time off from blogging...  I just had to.  I hated to, but things got pretty busy around here and well, I had to take some time off.  I regret it.  But, after my surgery, I vowed until I tackled the mess that was our master suite, I would not blog.  And yes, I just got around to really cleaning up our master suite...since June.  Now, I've "spot" cleaned (where you vacuum or clean the toilet or change the linens on the bed), but I just now cleaned the entire area at once for the first time in months.  Well, except Scott's dresser.  I have no idea what to do with all the stray junk that clutters the top of his dresser, so I just put it on his honey-do list and declared the master suite clean.  Still junkie in places, but done. 

Now, on to the reason that the master suite was in such a state - sleep-deprivation.  I have never, in all my years, experienced the level of exhaustion that I have had for the last 229 days. Since our little man came into our lives, I have been functioning on very little, disjointed, poor quality sleep.  My average for weeks would be about 6 hours a day - 2 hours in bed, followed by an hour awake, followed by 2 hours in the recliner holding a 15 pound restless baby, followed by another hour awake, followed by an hour in the bed, then an hour nap in the afternoon - if I was really lucky.  August and September were the worst.  I had no reserve energy left.  I was in survival mode! 


Tucker during naptime

 We had sleep issues from day 1 and they have just gotten worse.  During the first month he required a light on and the TV, with voices, to be able to sleep.  Then he had colic.  Then he had tummy pain because of milk problems.  Then he started teething.  Finally, just last week, he has started to sleep consistently most nights, although he still gets up one to two times a night for a snack. 



Grinning little man
 To say these last few months have been a struggle would be an understatement.  I feel as if I am always behind, way behind, like still rocking-the-eighties-mullet behind!  I feel as if I need to be doing other things - like laundry, cleaning, or showing my girls some attention.  Everyday is a day of the "what absolutely HAS to be done today and cannot wait" kind of day.  I truly have not had the energy to do anything else.  I have had no creativity during this time.  I haven't felt like doing anything that takes any thought or effort like learning a new recipe or decorating.  But, now that I am getting more sleep, that is starting to change. 




Naptime Buddy

Our little man has been worth the effort no matter what!  He is a loving, cuddlebug full of joy and curiosity.  He only has eyes for me...and is my biggest fan since he always stops crying if I sing "You are my Sunshine" to him.  He has a special bond with Lyra Kate and thinks Gracie is so funny.  He seeks his Daddee's attention whenever he is in the room.  He was well worth the loss sleep and lack of energy for the past few months, but I still hope that those days are behind us now.  I'm ready for long, uninterrupted nights of restful sleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment